Prairie Futures Students
Hello Prairie Futures Students!
We are here to provide support and guidance as you pursue your post-secondary degree. Below you will find important updates, information, and links to forms and documents that support Prairie Futures programs.
Prairie Futures Nursing and Teaching Student Support Application
Must submit a letter explaining why you would like to become a nurse or teacher and what you have in common with the stated Prairie Futures student values. The application letter should also include an idea for a healthcare community service project (for nursing students) or an idea for community service project to improve quality of education (for teaching students. Your letter should answer the following three questions:
- What percentage of financial aid/student loans will be used to pay for your college?
- How many dependents do you have living in your household?
- Please explain any additional financial aid you may be receiving
Must submit 3 references that support your decision to become a nurse or teacher.
- Nontraditional students with plans to reside in a rural area
- Must be out of high school for at least 3 years or show special circumstances which limit one’s ability to relocate to a main university campus
- Must show a compelling financial need
- Displays interest in healthcare through past experiences or references
- Must meet university GPA requirements for the nursing degree
- Must agree to Prairie Futures Student Expectations and Code of Conduct
Prairie Futures Student Support
- Students are assigned a coach that provides support and encouragement as they navigate the university environment
- Transportation support
- Nursing Board Prep
- $2,000 in tuition reimbursement after passing of nursing boards
- Semester stipend of $500 with qualifying course load and grades
- Access to student emergency fund with a qualifying circumstance
- Use of laptops
Student Expectations for continuing support
- Must maintain GPA requirements
- Must meet with coach as requested
- Must submit proof of grades
- Must participate in student social functions
- Must attend tutoring as requested by coach
- Must sign confidentiality waiver for Prairie Futures Coach
- Must display a willingness to promote teamwork and a strong student community
- Must show a commitment towards Prairie Futures student values
- Non-compliance may result in discontinuation of support
Applying to USD – Nursing
First time & Transfer Students to USD should refer to the following link and be sure to indicate the Pierre campus nursing program when completing your application. The nursing program in chamberlain is part of the Pierre campus.
Submit Official Transcripts to:
Higher Education Center
Attn: Kris-Tina Pieper
4300 Cheyenne Blvd.
PO Box 250
Rapid City, SD 57709
After you have been accepted into USD you will need to schedule an advisory session with Lisa Feller (Director of Nursing – USD Pierre; 605-773-6723; firstname.lastname@example.org) to identify your course plan.
COMPASS Placement Testing
Please note that if you have never attended college then you will be advised to complete the COMPASS Placement test for English and Math. This test may be taken at the Brule County Extension Office in Chamberlain. You will need to contact this office at 605- 234-4431 beforehand to schedule an appointment.
Applying to Lower Brule Community College
Lower Brule Community College
PO Box 230
111 Little Partisan Ln
Lower Brule, SD , 57548
PHONE: (605) 473-9232
FAX: (605) 473-5462
QUESTIONS: email: natalieb@Lowerbrulecc.org
Applying to the USD Nursing Program
The deadline for applying for Fall admission to the nursing program is February 1st of the same year. Please refer to http://www.usd.edu/health-sciences/nursing/bsn-application-process
You will need to complete the application packet and return it to Lisa Feller. If you wish to participate in the chamberlain area program then please write “Chamberlain” on the form in parenthesis after Pierre and indicate it as your first choice for site locations. Enrollment at each campus is limited. Application materials received after the deadlines will be considered on a space-available basis.
Computer Loan Agreement
Prairie Futures Key Contacts
Prairie Futures Student Directory
Prairie Futures Student Code of Conduct Policy
Applying to USD – Teaching
Robin Wiebers, Ed.D.
School of Education
University of South Dakota
Please be sure to visit our Prairie Futures Facebook page for latest news about our Prairie Futures programs!