Prairie Futures Students
Hello Prairie Futures Students!
We are here to provide support and guidance as you pursue your post-secondary degree. Below you will find important updates, information, and links to forms and documents that support Prairie Futures programs.
The deadline for requesting student contract renewals and applications for the 2015-2016 Academic year is July 15, 2015. Acceptance will be communicated no later than August 15, 2015. Below you will find instructions for completing and submitting your application, along with expectations for continuing support and a summary of the 2015-2016 program. If you have any questions do not hesitate to give me a call 281-253-5199.
Prairie Futures Nursing Student Support Application
Must submit a letter explaining why you would like to become a nurse and what you have in common with the stated Prairie Futures student values. The application letter should also include an idea for a healthcare community service project and should answer the following three questions:
- What percentage of financial aid/student loans will be used to pay for your college?
- How many dependents do you have living in your household?
- Please explain any additional financial aid you may be receiving
Must submit 3 references that support your decision to become a nurse
Applications should be submitted to:
C/O: MHCH Foundation
P.O. Box 84
Kimball, South Dakota 57355
Or emailed to:
Prairie Futures Student Values:
- Pursuit of excellence and continuous learning
- Desire to give back to rural communities
- Respect for Diversity
- Flexibility and Adaptability
- Nontraditional students with plans to reside in a rural area
- Must be out of high school for at least 3 years or show special circumstances which limit one’s ability to relocate to a main university campus
- Must show a compelling financial need
- Displays interest in healthcare through past experiences or references
- Must meet university GPA requirements for the nursing degree
- Must agree to Prairie Futures Student Expectations and Code of Conduct
Prairie Futures Student Support
- Students are assigned a coach that provides support and encouragement as they navigate the university environment
- Transportation support
- Nursing Board Prep
- Annual Medical Terminology class
- College Survival Class
- Resume development and job placement support
- $2,000 in tuition reimbursement after graduation and passing of nursing boards
- Semester stipend of $500 with qualifying course load and grades
- Individual tutoring
- Access to student emergency fund with a qualifying circumstance
- Use of laptops
Student Expectations for continuing support
- Must maintain GPA requirements
- Must meet with coach as requested
- Must submit proof of grades
- Must participate in student social functions
- Must attend tutoring as requested by coach
- Must sign confidentiality waiver for Prairie Futures Coach
- Must display a willingness to promote teamwork and a strong student community
- Must show a commitment towards Prairie Futures student values
- Non-compliance may result in discontinuation of support
Applying to USD
First time & Transfer Students to USD should refer to the following link and be sure to indicate the Pierre campus nursing program when completing your application. The nursing program in chamberlain is part of the Pierre campus.
Submit Official Transcripts to:
Higher Education Center
Attn: Kris-Tina Pieper
4300 Cheyenne Blvd.
PO Box 250
Rapid City, SD 57709
After you have been accepted into USD you will need to schedule an advisory session with Lisa Feller (Director of Nursing – USD Pierre; 605-773-6723; email@example.com) to identify your course plan.
COMPASS Placement Testing
Please note that if you have never attended college then you will be advised to complete the COMPASS Placement test for English and Math. This test may be taken at the Brule County Extension Office in Chamberlain. You will need to contact this office at 605- 234-4431 beforehand to schedule an appointment.
Applying to Lower Brule Community College
Lower Brule Community College
PO Box 230
111 Little Partisan Ln
Lower Brule, SD , 57548
PHONE: (605) 473-9232
FAX: (605) 473-5462
QUESTIONS: email: natalieb@Lowerbrulecc.org
Applying to the USD Nursing Program
The deadline for applying for Fall 2016 admission to the nursing program is February 1st. Please refer to http://www.usd.edu/health-sciences/nursing/bsn-application-process
You will need to complete the application packet and return it to Lisa Feller. If you wish to participate in the chamberlain area program then please write “Chamberlain” on the form in parenthesis after Pierre and indicate it as your first choice for site locations. Enrollment at each campus is limited. Application materials received after the deadlines will be considered on a space-available basis.
Computer Loan Agreement
Prairie Futures Key Contacts
Prairie Futures Student Directory
Prairie Futures Student Code of Conduct Policy
Please be sure to visit our Prairie Futures Facebook page for latest news about our Prairie Futures programs!